Experiential Learning Center Specialist
Job no: 532032
Work type: Staff
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Part Time, Student Services, On-site (work in-person at business location)
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist I -Non-Exempt
Hours: Part-time 20 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $2,412 per month for part time position
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: October 1, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
*Internal CSUMB Applicants Only*
California State University, Monterey Bay is a mid-sized university in California's Central Coast that grants undergraduate and graduate degrees. Powered by an inspiring https://csumb.edu/about/founding-vision-statement/, CSUMB is part of the nation's largest four-year public university system, https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/about-the-csu/Pages/default.aspx, which educates nearly 460,000 students every year.
With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,000 students, CSU Monterey Bay is both a Minority Serving Institution and a Hispanic Serving Institution. Our staff and faculty transform students' lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning, and a strong emphasis on multicultural and global perspectives. CSUMB's sustainability goal is to be carbon neutral by 2030.
The university's https://csumb.edu/about/mission-strategic-plan/ prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in developing a diverse body of faculty, staff and administrators. Many appreciate living and working close to the shores of beautiful Monterey Bay, with easy access to recreational areas from Big Sur to Santa Cruz. Nearby opportunities for collaborative research include working in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Silicon Valley, and with colleagues at local research universities, including UC Santa Cruz and Stanford University.
As one of the 23 campuses in the CSU system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate rental housing on East Campus, and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. With proximity to the San Francisco Bay Area and San Jose, opportunities for faculty, staff and students are as endless as the shores of the nearby Pacific Ocean.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Recreation, the Experiential Learning Center Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of CSUMB Recreation's experiential education, team building and group development programs and services. The primary responsibilities will include the daily coordination and facilitation of the CSUMB Challenge Course, experiential education services and facilitator training. The Experiential Learning Center Specialist will provide educational programs and workshops, trainings, equipment and facility management, inventory control and Challenge Course operations. The Experiential Learning Center Specialist provides leadership and program coordination for CSUMB Recreation experiential services. The Experiential Learning Center Specialist will lead, facilitate and coordinate work with CSUMB students, staff and faculty; community and corporate partners and regional youth programs in developing and marketing new programs as well as guiding all of CSUMB Recreation's ongoing experiential programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Program Development
• Develop programming with emphasis on using research-based curriculum for youth and adult audiences.
• Work with Associate Director to position CSUMB Outdoor Recreation, Challenge Course and Experiential Education Services as a critical resource in the Tri-County region.
• Collaborate with students, staff, faculty and campus partners to develop cross-disciplinary and leadership programs.
• Partner with local resources to write grant proposals and manage grant/contract projects that support CSUMB Recreation.
• Maintain the Challenge Course and Experiential Services web page.
• Ensure development efforts are in-line with university and department policy.
• Program Coordination and Training
• Oversee day to day program operations of the CSUMB Challenge Course.
• Lead student staff, seasonal staff and interns, including scheduling their work time on the course.
• Maintain a viable pool of facilitators.
• Coordinate low and high ropes course staff training.
• Maintain positive and professional working relationships with campus and community partners.
• Uphold policies, protocols, and practices that adhere to Association for Challenge Course Technology (ACCT) standards.
• Manage budgets, including fees, training expenses, course costs, and professional service agreements.
• Maintain records and documents related to client use. Also, responsible for inventory control and related documentation.
• Present annual usage and partnership reports to the Associate Director.
• Deliver educational workshops and trainings.
• Program Delivery
• Facilitate programming for youth and adult groups on and off the challenge course.
• Facilitate programming using portable equipment
• Challenge Course
• Maintain ACCT quality and safety standards for equipment.
• Oversee documentation of equipment use and maintenance.
• Maintain course trails and programming areas.
• Conduct annual inspections that adhere with ACCT standards.
• Professional Development
• Attend annual professional development opportunities that support ACCT practices, and/or in-service training and conferences as determined by the Associate Director.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge: Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, principles, practices, and techniques applicable to the program and/or administrative specialty to develop conclusions and make recommendations. Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and outside regulations pertaining to the applicable program and/or administrative specialty. Working knowledge of operational and fiscal analysis and techniques.
Abilities: to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved. Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively. Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in written or presentation form. Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.
Skills: in the research, development and evaluation of policies and programs, including skill in the collection, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations. Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with a broad administrative impact and implications. Thorough mastery of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, editing and spoken language.
Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
Experience working independently to perform administrative and analytical duties and/or service as a program administrator. Ability to plan, research and participate in the development, alteration, implementation, and evaluation of the organizational units and/or program's policies and procedures. Experience providing project leadership in a complex organization analyzing and addressing problems using ingenuity, reasoning and the interpretation and application of theories and principles to develop and recommend alternative options and best course of action. Incumbent must demonstrate sound judgment, discretion, professionalism, accountability for research and results, and leadership experience required to oversee and lead work direction and to represent the work unit on key projects both within and outside the organization.
Bachelor's degree in recreation services, children and family services, youth development, education, or related coursework combined with two years of experience facilitating adventure programs, personal development programs, youth development programs, camping programs, or corporate training programs. Level 1 ACCT Certified, or the ability to become certified along with training and familiarity with low and high course Challenge Course protocols and standards. One year experience working in higher education. Strong presentation skills.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
• All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
• The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html as a condition of employment.
• This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1095-rev-6-23-15.html.
• This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility for:
• the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property
• access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information
• responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access
• access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the https://csumb.edu/it/information-classification-standard?_search=Information+Security+Data+Classification+Standards
• and control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access
• This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education's Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
• This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and will require to participate in annual training and to immediately forward to the Clery Director all reports of crimes brought to their attention pursuant to the Clery Act and California State Education Code, Chapter 16, of the Donahue Higher Education Act, Section 67380.
• Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
• May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. The position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/careers/benefits/Documents/employee-benefits-summary.pdf. As a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit https://www.schoonoverparkapartments.com/ for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/mb/en-us/listing/. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4605136
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.