Assistant Director of Transportation and TDM
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 58056
The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California's COVID-19 vaccine program.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/index.html on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/ird-and-applicant-review-process.html.
The IRD for this job is: 09-04-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) supports the University mission of academics, research and public service by providing and managing access to UC Santa Cruz and overseeing the planning, design and operation of the facilities and programs associated with parking, transit services, and bicycle/pedestrian circulation.
More information can be found at: https://taps.ucsc.edu/
Under the general direction of the Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) Executive Director, the Assistant Director of Transportation and Transportation Demand Management (TDM) manages campus transit, paratransit, Safe Ride service, bike share, vanpool, bike safety programs, Zipcar, and other TDM initiatives. The Assistant Director of Transportation and TDM will have oversight of communications to the campus community and internal documentation including but not limited to employee handbooks and / or manuals, representing the department in committees and presentations and emergency preparedness and injury and illness prevention; This position will work closely with the Executive Director in identifying, planning, and implementing strategic initiatives; and developing and revising program-related policies and procedures and acts as back-up including staffing the campus Emergency Operations Center as needed. The Assistant Director will collaborate with the campus ADA access coordinator, ensuring that TAPS programs are accessible to and usable by people with disabilities.
Budgeted Salary: $123,900/annually.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: ADMIN MGR 1 (000547)
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - Administrative Operations, Planning and Policy
• Manages daily administrative operations of transportation services including development and oversight of assigned budgets and expenditures; staff supervision; service delivery; Campus Transit and Transportation Demand Management (TDM) program development, oversight, and planning. Manages vendors to ensure service levels are met and tailored to campus needs.
• Acts as backup to the TAPS Executive Director in meetings and presentations, as well as during emergency operations. Supports the Executive Director in analysis and decision-making.
• Works with TAPS Executive Director and other department managers in developing short- and long-range planning for facilities, operations, and sustainability targets. Implements TDM Planning and assists Campus Planning with long-range transportation planning initiatives.
• Establishes and recommends changes to departmental policies. Oversees change management including the implementation of new technology and systems.
• Assists with strategic grant selection, writing, and development based on departmental goals. Administers grants pursuant to grantor agreements, providing proper reporting and invoicing as required.
20% - Program and Service Quality Assurance
• Ensures transit and TDM services are delivered in a high quality manner with strong customer satisfaction. Sets metrics and benchmarks for success and develops plans for achievement. Collaborates in survey and data collection and analyzes data to inform decision making.
• Provides performance management oversight for employees within the organization, and provides leadership required to ensure high functioning organization and high employee retention.
• Oversees the development and maintenance of internal documentation.
15% - Marketing and Communications
• Consults with internal Marketing and Communications, University Relations, and other external stakeholders to develop and deliver comprehensive communications plans for Transportation and Parking Services. Provides oversight for all marketing efforts including newsletter, website, printed collateral, and social media.
15% - Compliance, Safety and Emergency Preparedness
• Ensures compliance with regulatory standards for transit driver licensing, ongoing training, and drug testing. Manages and implements the departmental Injury, Illness and Prevention Program (IIPP) Plan.
• Develops quarterly driver safety training agenda and delivery. Manages driver training programs to best ensure a continuous pipeline of qualified transit shuttle drivers in compliance with federal Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) standards.
• Ensures department emergency readiness, department compliance and planning.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
• Proven leadership experience in working with a diverse workforce including the ability to manage supervisory and front-line staff.
• Knowledge of and experience in the development of policies, procedures, and practices that assure program accessibility and a clear understanding of reasonable accommodation as it applies to transportation access.
• Knowledge of urban planning processes, roadway safety, and community outreach.
• Experience managing transit operations and safety.
• Experience developing and implementing Transportation Demand Management programs (TDM).
• Experience with development and oversight of multi-million dollar budgets.
• Excellent research and analytical skills sufficient to analyze situations in a multi-faceted way and develop innovative solutions.
• Demonstrated independent decision-making, problem identification and problem-resolution skills.
• Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish priorities and complete competing assignments in a timely manner.
• Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to produce comprehensive communications, reports, presentations, and marketing materials.
• Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce comprehensive communications, reports, presentations and marketing materials.
• Ability to conduct both quantitative and qualitative analyses of survey data.
• Proven judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive issues and information.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
• Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
• Ability to conduct outdoor site visits, including use of required personal protective equipment, as required to conduct investigations, inspections, or view work in place.
• The selected candidate will be required to work primarily on campus, with periods of remote work possible based on operational needs, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
• Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
• Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
• Clery Act : This position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA); required to report crimes, incidents, and disciplinary referral statistics as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)).
• Ability to work safely in areas where hazardous materials are present or stored.
• Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
• Ability to travel within a defined regional or service area.
• Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtainedhttps://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.