Director of Academic Personnel and Payroll
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 50754
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 04-13-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, the Baskin School of Engineering is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 20 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society. Its diverse curricula facilitates creative thinking and prepares students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research
activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Baskin Engineering (BE), this position is responsible for managing professional and supervisory academic HR staff in BE. The incumbent serves as a resources and advises senior managers on areas of academic policy interpretation, processes improvements and academic programs. Recommends, coordinates and administers academic personnel actions; such as faculty recruitment and retention plans, appointment and reappointment file preparation and affirmative action plans for faculty. Manages the compensation administration for academic personnel.
Budgeted Salary: $114,250 - $135,300/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay..
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 000594 (ACAD HR MGR 1)
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - ACADEMIC HR MANAGEMENT
• Leads, manages and supervises staff who are responsible for academic recruitment and retention, compensation administration and affirmative action plans.
• Provides direction, training and guidance to Academic HR staff.
• Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of Academic HR.
• Responsible for performance, salary actions, coaching, counseling and other human resources related issues for subordinate staff.
• Creates a diverse and inclusive work environment.
• Accepts changes in priorities and communicates those changes effectively to staff members.
• Establishes objectives for BE Academic HR.
40% - PROCESS DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
• Manages procedures and processes that support the review, analysis, and processing of personnel actions for academic employees; compensation administration, faculty review process, faculty appointment and reappointments, faculty affirmative action plans, non-senate academic appointments and layoff process.
• Develops and monitors operational processes and budget tracking for senate faculty and academic human resources within Baskin Engineering.
• Manages the maintenance of academic HR records and data systems.
10% - ADVISE
• Advises Chairs, Deans, and senior managers on interpretation, recommendations, and establishment of new policies and / processes.
• Provides support to Assistant Dean/Chief of Staff in the development of strategic plans and objectives with respect to academic HR issues.
• Leads cross-departmental project teams on initiatives of strategic impact to BE.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
• Broad knowledge of complex personnel, compensation, and related policies and procedures for academic employees.
• In-depth knowledge of university policies and operational procedures.
• Strong understanding of the University structure and responsibilities of Baskin Engineering.
• Understanding of HR and related databases.
• Strong management skills with the ability to guide and develop staff.
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills with the ability to develop creative solutions which may have no precedent.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong decision making skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively.
• Strong oral communication skills with a diversity of communication styles and the ability to listen effectively.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
• Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
• Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
• Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.