Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 47802
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 02-08-2023.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation are part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, Baskin Engineering (BE) is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 25 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society, and its diverse curricula facilitate creative thinking and prepare students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
The Baskin Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office is a major component of the BE Undergraduate Student Affairs portfolio. The office provides centralized academic advising for all undergraduate majors in the School of Engineering.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
The Advising Office in Baskin School of Engineering provides centralized academic advising for all undergraduate majors in the School of Engineering. The centralized office structure requires that advising staff stay current with their knowledge of all undergraduate majors and associated minors. The Academic Advisor interacts with students, faculty, other academic department advisors, and the college advisors to support the success and retention of engineering undergraduate students.
Under the general supervision of the Baskin Engineering (BE) Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising, and working closely with the BE Director of Undergraduate Advising, the Academic Advisor will independently provide prescriptive advice on academic policies and procedures for Baskin Engineering, including major and minor requirements, and all aspects of course requirements for degree or program completion. The Academic Advisor provides detailed and accurate information and advice on BE majors and policies.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $61,500 - $70,900/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment.
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 004545 (STDT ACAD ADVISOR 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
70% - Advising
• Provides advice and assistance to students on all aspects of their academic experience, including progression and requirement matters for Baskin Engineering.
• Advises new and continuing instructors on student advising issues.
• Advises students on a wide range of course possibilities and / or ways to complete degree requirements that may not be clearly defined.
• Assists faculty on determining course scheduling needs for student progression to graduation.
• Evaluates and advises students on petitions for exceptions to departmental / school / college.
• Confirms that students have met requirements for degree completion when there are no clear precedents or articulations, such as interdisciplinary programs or when transfer work is involved.
• Identifies students with GPA or progress problems, advises students, and recommends appropriate courses of action by the department / school / college (e.g., academic probation, dismissal).
• Participates in planning academic curriculum in collaboration with chair and faculty, and with other departments, to ensure student's progress through course sequences, avoid conflicts, and ensure compliance with organization-wide policies.
• Determines barriers, distractions, and complications affecting a student's academic success, helps students recognize these key non-academic issues, and makes appropriate referrals for additional therapeutic counseling and / or assistance from other units.
• Attends major declaration workshops and reviews/advises students on plans, answers questions.
• Reviews and completes student request forms.
30% - Advising Administration
• Compiles and sends broad announcements to BE students using Slug Success.
• Monitors Canvas courses, declares students, and sends reminder emails to students who need to complete the course as necessary.
• Updates students' portals in AIS to reflect Major/Minor changes.
• Assist with student orientations including staffing orientation sessions and preparing presentation information and materials.
• Responds to email@example.com email.
• Verifies completion of major requirements for students who have applied to graduate. Follow up with students concerning missing requirements as needed.
• Contacts graduating students quarterly in majors with information about exit requirements, and coordinates with faculty to schedule exit interviews for students.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
• Knowledge of department courses and majors.
• Thorough knowledge of university policies, procedures, and requirements.
• Research and analytical skills with the ability to recall, retrieve and apply information.
• Skills in judgment and decision-making.
• Problem solving skills with the ability to identify and provide solutions.
• Organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
• Customer service skills.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Strong verbal communication skills with the ability listen actively.
• Interpersonal skills, sufficient to work effectively with a diverse population.
• Ability to work as an effective member of a team.
• Ability to work independently.
• Advising experience.
• Familiarity with UC Santa Cruz campus programs, administrative units and student services.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.