Graduate Outreach & Recruitment Specialist
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 34782
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-23-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, Baskin Engineering is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 25 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society, and its diverse curricula facilitate creative thinking and prepare students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
The Baskin School of Engineering (BE) is a dynamic professional school environment with a strong focus on expanding graduate programs at the MS and PhD levels. Faculty and graduate students come to BE from all over the world, bringing a global perspective to emerging challenges in 21st Century engineering education, and creating a culturally and intellectually diverse community for collaborative interdisciplinary research and teaching.
The Office of Graduate Student Affairs in BE is responsible and accountable for the overall development, management, and coordination of all programmatic activities and support services related to graduate programs. This wide scope of responsibility requires extensive knowledge of pertinent policies and procedures pertaining to graduate education at UCSC generally and BE specifically, as well as the ability to interact and problem solve directly with faculty and graduate students in various BE programs. Each BE graduate program is unique, with separate requirements and distinct tracks of study, which requires the incumbents to move seamlessly between programs while ensuring consolidated and cooperative services for all graduate students.
The Graduate Outreach and Recruitment Specialist will plan, implement and assess outreach and recruitment programs/efforts for the graduate programs in the School of Engineering under the direction of the Director of Graduate Affairs and in consultation with School leadership. This position will manage a new Enrollment Marketing Platform (EMP) to provide strategic management of our recruitment contacts and targeted follow up to attract a diverse and talented applicant pool. This individual will plan and coordinate participation in Graduate School Fairs, manage all administrative aspects of our participation in outreach and recruitment initiatives including recruitment of faculty, staff, students and alumni to serve as ambassadors of the School and graduate programs. This position will develop and nurture relationships with feeder institutions and will need to converse authoritatively about engineering education, both one-on-one and with large groups. These relationships cultivate access to prospective undergraduate students and, ultimately, application to our programs. The Graduate Outreach and Recruitment Specialist plans and presents events for prospective students online, locally, and throughout the U.S. and works closely with the Communications unit to develop publications, and messaging through social media which reflects the School's new branding efforts.
Outreach is expected to include such activities as social media advertising/marketing, hosting webinars, staffing a booth at conferences and/or recruitment fairs that prospective students might attend, participation in graduate fairs, and visits to other colleges and universities to meet prospective students and give presentations. The position involves extensive travel (primarily domestic, when safe due to COVID-19), especially during Fall and Winter quarters. Yield activities include planning webinars and in-person events for admitted students, as well as direct contact with admitted students via phone, video conference, email, social media, and other communication channels as needed. The Outreach and Recruitment Specialist will monitor and evaluate success of recruitment strategies in conjunction with the Director of Graduate Affairs, Director of Student Excellence, Engagement and Inclusion, and Associate Dean of Graduate Affairs.
An important element of outreach and yield activities is working to improve the diversity of the student body in the Baskin Engineering graduate programs. This includes working with the Director of Student Excellence, Engagement and Inclusion on such activities as participation in diversity-oriented conferences, meeting with student groups who support diversity during campus visits, and participation in campus visits/graduate school fairs at Hispanic Serving Institutions and Historically Black Colleges and Universities. The position will build relationships with faculty and staff with these institutions to provide pathways to the School of Engineering.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $65,450 - 75,800/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 004509 (ADMISSIONS RECRMT SPEC 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
60% - OUTREACH / RECRUITMENT
• Plans visits to schools: schedules and makes presentations, interviews, and follow-up visits. This includes extensive travel.
• Identifies potential students, and provides information about higher education generally and UC specifically.
• Provides in-depth information on admissions requirements, prerequisite courses, school / college programs and curricula, specific financial aid criteria, and career opportunities.
• Assesses applicants for motivation, initiative, leadership potential, work / life experience, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic status, disability, and educational / personal hardship.
• Serves as liaison between students, colleges / universities, community agencies, and UC college / school / department.
• Performs outreach via social media, webinars, virtual graduate school fairs, etc.
• Builds relationships with universities and their faculty.
40% - ADMINISTRATION
• Produces special and annual reports, and program evaluations.
• Plans, manages and implements events to enhance recruitment and yield, diversity initiative events, mentoring programs, electronic communications, and similar activities.
• Maintains Enrollment Management Platform/Customer Relationship Management System.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
• Ability to interpret and communicate University policies and procedures to prospective students and the public.
• Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of or ability to quickly learn and understand academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs, at colleges / universities and specifically at UC, and / or specific colleges and schools.
• Strong communication and public speaking skills to interact effectively with prospective students, advisors, alumni, university representatives and partners individually as well as in large and small groups.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations, and other institutions.
• Ability to pay strict attention to detail.
• Ability to develop recruitment programs, and design effective materials.
• Strong writing skills to develop communications aligned with School branding efforts.
• Effective organizational skills.
• Ability to assess and employ a variety of communications tools including email, print and social media.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to collaborate with others at varying levels of the organization.
• Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs or related area.
• Experience assessing outcomes of marketing and outreach initiatives.
• Knowledge of admissions tracking and communication systems.
• Experience planning and implementing marketing campaigns; ability to manage Enrollment Marketing Platform or Customer Relations Manager software.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.