Fire Safe Council For Monterey County (FSCMC) is seeking qualified candidates to fill a new fulltime position. The council is a non-profit corporation committed to protecting lives and property from harm by wildfires, and to educating the public on wildfire dangers and how to reduce them. The council supports projects that help make homes, neighborhoods, and communities fire safe by management of natural and man-made resources.
The County Coordinator is specialized in organizing, coordinating and assessing county-wide activities related to wildfire mitigation. The coordinator will complete a comprehensive review of existing wildfire mitigation groups and their projects and identify opportunities to improve partnerships, communications and cooperation. The coordinator will facilitate building relationships between community partners and county emergency management personnel. The position reports to the FSCMC Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess existing wildfire mitigation activities, resources, and information and compile a comprehensive assessment report
- Liaise with wildfire mitigation groups to identify and define opportunities to coordinate efforts to prepare the county for wildfire
- Increase opportunities for those engaged in preparing for wildfire to be informed about related county initiatives through social media and the website
- Initiate strategies to build collaboration and information sharing among county-wide wildfire mitigation groups
- Help prepare grant proposals, timeframes, budget and identify possible joint ventures to engage multiple wildfire mitigation groups
- Monitor and track county-wide progress in outreach, education, emergency and wildfire preparedness
- Identify opportunities and strategies to expand existing projects like FIREWISE USA recognized communities and chipping availability throughout the county
- Identify gaps and make recommendations to address gaps
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation, plans and reports
- Monitor and report on progress to FSCMC, CAFSC, and County according to grant timelines
- Prepare a report beginning and end of grant period analysis of existing organizations, grants and initiatives in the county
- Attend and report at monthly Fire Safe Council Monterey County Board Meetings
- Expand participation in FSCMC meetings and initiatives
- Develop new collaborative opportunities that include county-wide representation
- Report on all contacts, projects, grants, and gaps in wildfire resiliency
- Participate in all grant-related monthly, quarterly and other meetings as required
- Submit funding requests, quarterly reports and a comprehensive final report as required
- Must have 2-3 years of experience working in wildfire mitigation, emergency preparedness or other related field.
- Proven ability to identify and work with a variety of community and professional organizations
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strategic alliances and collaborations to achieve common goals
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Experience with outreach and education, social media and media relations
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Experience in grant writing and fundraising
- Knowledge of Monterey County environmental and ecological regulations, public education and/or working with underserved communities, and Spanish fluency are not required but would be beneficial.
This is a grant-funded fulltime salaried position. Work is to be performed over a period 18 months. Monthly salary range is $5,000-$6,250 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, state and federal mandated benefits.
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and names and phone numbers of at least three references to Judy Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible.