Community Safety Officer
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 8963
Initial Review Date (IRD)
The Initial Review Date for this job is: 07/29/2020
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
Dept Marketing Statement
Colleges, Housing, and Educational Services (CHES) is a multi-funded organization of the Business and Administrative Services division at UC Santa Cruz. CHES provides leadership in the areas of college student life and residential services, housing services and facilities, employee housing, capital planning, business and financial analysis, dining services, conference services, early education services, the Bay Tree Bookstore, and ID card services and business analysis for these areas. Through these units, educational and developmental programs and services are offered to all members of the campus community including students, faculty, staff, children, and external constituents.
CHES provides on-campus housing and dining services to approximately 9,500 undergraduates and graduate students in ten residential colleges and six multi-college affiliated residential communities which support single students and students with families.
Under the general supervision of the Community Safety Officer Supervisor, the Community Safety Officer is responsible for providing residential safety and security services for the Community Safety Program, which operates seven (7) nights a week, 365 nights a year from 7pm through 3am. In addition, the incumbent will serve as a liaison with Fire, Police and Dispatch; respond to student concerns; and provide documentation regarding all community interactions.
More information can be found at: https://housing.ucsc.edu/safety/
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: $20.32/hour
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: 5
Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend - Daily Schedule to be determined
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Service Unit - SX
70% - Community Patrols
Provide nightly foot patrols throughout the assigned residential community; complete lockup rounds; maintain security of assigned keys; contact a Community Safety Officer Supervisor for direction for all non-routine occurrences; respond as directed by Dispatch to radio calls; provide assistance and support to the residents as needed; document and report all interactions via nightly logs or incident reports per procedure; assist Fire and Police as needed; identify and mitigate any unsafe condition or health risk encountered; document and report in the logs community observances regarding student events, gatherings, and unusual happenings.
15% - Reporting
Provide written documentation of all policy violations, community/resident interactions, incidents, radio calls, emergencies, occurrences, and observations which occur during the work shift as per departmental procedures.
10% - Emergency Preparedness
Be familiar with and ready to enact the campus Student Services Disaster Operations Committee (SSDOC) procedures. Be able to manage evacuations of buildings and communities as needed. Be able to extinguish small fires. Be ready to provide first aid, CPR or AED services as needed. Be familiar with Community Emergency Responder Team (CERT) practices and procedures and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency or disaster. The incumbent will stay current with training in CPR/first aid/AED, CERT, and the campus and divisional emergency plans.
5% - Other Duties
Will drive campus owned vehicles and/or a personal vehicle as needed.
Perform other duties as assigned in support of Colleges, Housing, and Educational Services and the University.
• Customer service experience sufficient to interact in a positive and professional manner with all levels of personnel within the organization.
• Strong interpersonal skills sufficient to connect with people in a respectful, supportive, yet authoritative manner with people from a variety of social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
• Excellent writing skills sufficient to draft clear and concise correspondence, reports, and procedures.
• Strong communication skills sufficient to listen, mediate, negotiate, and promote open dialog.
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills sufficient to analyze problems in the field and develop and implement innovative and creative solutions which adhere to campus policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of and familiarity with safety and security industry standards and practices.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize various desktop computer applications, create documents and send emails.
• Ability to comprehend and effectively explain a wide variety of complex and detailed policy and procedures.
• Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in sensitive and/or confidential personnel matters.
• Ability to exercise interpersonal skills sufficient to display genuineness in dealing with others and to realize the importance of first impressions.
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy sufficient to accomplish goals without creating friction.
• Ability to calm and de-escalate tense and charged situations and successfully avoid violence or continuation of hostilities.
• Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.