Baskin Engineering Web Developer
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 35698
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-01-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant number of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
The Academic Divisional portfolio comprises six regionally distributed teams, embedded in five academic divisions and the Silicon Valley Center. This structure recognizes that the intellectual diversity represented within our faculty is best served by services that are locally optimized and adaptive to changing needs. By standardizing on commonalities, we develop right-sized, right-priced IT services that enable growth in a resource-constrained environment. The outcome provides an aggregated description of local IT support and services that can be easily accessed by faculty and reviewed by decision-makers to inform shared investment in commonly understood requirements across the disciplines.
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu
NOTE: A hybrid work arrangement is negotiable. 100% Remote Candidates will NOT be considered for this position.
The Baskin Engineering Web Developer plays an essential role in the delivery of IT web services to the Baskin School of Engineering affiliates in support of instruction, research, and administration. Joining a team of Baskin Engineering IT professionals, this position is the senior/lead web developer responsible for development, maintenance, monitoring, operational support, and overall portfolio management of all Baskin Engineering affiliated websites and custom software applications.
This position provides frontline web services with a high-level focus on providing consultation services and developing web solutions that advance specific divisional, development, instruction, and research goals. An effective candidate is skilled in the following: applying expert-level systems infrastructure concepts and institutional goals to resolve highly complex issues, developing websites in enterprise-level web content management systems, advanced software concepts for medium to large projects of broad scope and complexity, and breadth of abilities aligned with web design standards and practices.
The position leads a team of student web developers who provide day-to-day end-user support and are assigned small to medium-scaled projects. Due to the nature of this role, the incumbent will be required to regularly work on campus with the potential for remote work opportunities.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $81,600 - $101,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 000652 (APPLICATIONS PROGR 4)
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% - Development
• Performs analysis of division, research group, and/or user need, creating technical specifications for systems with broad impact at a divisional level. Independently applies advanced software concepts to plan, design, develop, modify, debug, and deploy highly complex web sites and web applications; and associated processes and procedures. Develops conversion and system implementation plans.
20% - Technical Project Leadership
• Gathers specifications, plans implementation, and manages scope for projects to meet specific complex administrative, instructional, and research needs. Serves as the technical web expert in regards to content strategy, technical opportunity, and strategic initiatives; with requirements provided by a team led by the Baskin Engineering Director of Community Engagement.
20% - Portfolio Management and Maintenance
• Solely responsible for a complex web hosting portfolio of hundreds of sites and applications running on mutlpie technology platforms. Oversees the configuration, operation, maintenance of all existing and new sites. Initiates and oversees changes in development, maintenance, and system standards. Sets the technical and design requirements for complex software specifications. Provides technical leadership, training, and mentoring to Baskin Engineering affiliates in using various content management systems. Understands and applies industry practices, campus standards, and divisional policies and procedures in depth. Documents and inventories all processes, procedures, systems, services, and tasks.
10% - Supervision
• Provides direct supervision of student web developers. Oversees training, task and project assignment, and overall guidance and support for completion of work.
5% - Security
• Interprets and adopts Information Technology Services, UCSC campus, UC Office of the President, and/or regulation-based security policies to control access to networked resources.
5% - ITS Membership
• Works with other divisions on the development and delivery of shared web services and software. Works on ITS and campus committees and projects as requested. This includes new and improved services that support research and instructional needs, but also services that are considered global for the campus at large.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Expert knowledge of principles of website design.
• Advanced experience developing in Content Management Systems such as WordPress, Cascade, Drupal.
• Advanced knowledge and experience developing and using a technical toolkit to ensure development standards for website consistency, security, responsiveness, and accessibility.
• Significant experience programming in HTML, CSS and supplemental code base such as Javascrip,t PHP, Perl, Java, Pytho, Ruby; including the use of standard libraries.
• Advanced skills creating and modifying Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
• Advanced technical and design skills in creating and/or modifying aesthetically appealing and content driven modules, themes, elements, and imagery.
• Significant experience managing software projects from specification to design to implementation.
• Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs and how systems can support those needs. Demonstrated ability to develop conversion and system implementation plans.
• Advanced experience conforming to coding standards.
• Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
• Highly advanced skills associated with software specification, design, modification, implementation and deployment of large-scale scope.
• Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated complex problem- solving skills.
• Excellent project leadership and management skills.
• Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
• Experience developing and executing complex test plans.
• Experience with identification and use of code libraries and open-source forums.
• Demonstrated software repository skills.
• Lean / Six Sigma.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
• Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
• Ability to complete various compliance and job-related training as directed.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.