BELS Teaching Lab Junior Engineer
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 34998
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-26-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, the Baskin School of Engineering is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 20 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by ongoing research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society, and its diverse curricula facilitate creative thinking and prepare students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
The Baskin Engineering Lab Support (BELS) group operates and supports all specialized teaching labs in the Baskin School of Engineering. BELS is also the hardware engineering, embedded software engineering and technical support services for Baskin Engineering and at times serves the University of California, Santa Cruz globally. BELS schedules services and operates the specialized undergraduate engineering teaching labs at Baskin Engineering and partners with UCSC Information Technology Services (ITS) Instructional technologies group on the use of campus general computing labs. BELS instructional labs are primarily located in the Baskin Engineering and Engineering 2 buildings, but at times BELS supports instructional requirements at the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus and research requirements at other main campus buildings and locations such as 2300 Delaware Westside Research Park (WRP). BELS also provides technical advice, design, fabrication, poster printing, 3D-printing services and equipment rentals to undergraduate students, graduate students, researchers and faculty sometimes via recharge or miscellaneous fee reimbursement. BELS operates the Baskin Engineering receiving services and serves as the inventorial equipment manager to Baskin Engineering. BELS provides support for audio-visual equipment in the Baskin Engineering events center rooms and partners with ITS Local IT Specialists (Baskin Engineering LITS) on supporting computing and conference room audio-visual equipment support.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $31.35 to $36.30/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007118 (RSCH AND DEV ENGR 1)
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% - Instructional Lab Support
• Under direct supervision, sources and acquire lab supplies, assemble technical kits for engineering courses and distributes course supplies to students.
• Reconcile equipment checkouts.
• Respond to requests, maintain supplies, and conduct maintenance on specialized systems such as poster printers, 3D printers, laser cutters, circuit board milling/routing machines, and other systems yet to be determined. Learn these systems thoroughly and develop procedures to maintain systems and respond to requests.
• Move and secure equipment as needed to include fabrication and installation of physical security devices such as cables and padlocks.
• Verify operation and troubleshoot multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, and other test equipment.
• Provide basic level training on the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators and other test equipment to teaching assistants and undergraduate students.
• Provide AutoCAD and SolidWorks drawing capabilities for UCSC projects.
• Advise and provide design/fabrication services to research labs via recharge reimbursement as time permits.
• Other duties, as assigned.
20% - Computer Support for Lab Workstations
• Install and run updates for specialized lab software.
• Create master images for lab computers and distribute them accordingly.
• Troubleshoot software and hardware issues with lab computers.
20% - AV Support for Baskin Engineering Events Spaces
• Operate, and troubleshoot installed AV systems.
• Provide all necessary support to users of Basking Engineering event spaces on the operation of installed AV systems.
20% - Electronics Stockroom, Poster Printing, and Receiving Backup
• Maintain and update electronic stockroom stock and inventory.
• Assist students and faculty with sourcing materials from stockroom and suppliers.
• Operate poster-printing service and update process instructions for poster printing.
• Assist Baskin Engineering receiving personnel with receiving and shipping of materials. At times this means filling in for the Baskin Engineering receiving clerk when they are absent.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Basic knowledge of engineering principles and methods to perform entry-level professional engineering functions.
• Analytical skills, and strong skills in attention to detail.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Analytical and judgment skills to conduct analyses and develop appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to work in a collaborative manner.
• Experienced in operating lab benchtop test and measurement equipment, including multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, powers supplies, etc.
• Ability to solder circuit boards and components.
• Demonstrated proficiency in writing computer programs in at least one major computer programming language such as Java, C, C++, C#, or Python.
• Experience installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting, and remediating issues on Windows systems.
• Ability to solder surface mount components.
• Experience using 2D and/or 3D CAD software.
• Experience programming microcontrollers and/or System on a Chip devices.
• Experience operating, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining various AV hardware.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
• Must be able to walk up/downstairs, climb ladders, work at heights and work with sufficient dexterity in order to solder and assemble fine instrumentation.
• Must be able to lift, carry at least 30 lbs. without accommodation.
• Must have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods with or without accommodations.
• Must have the ability to move equipment carts, pallet jacks, and other material handling devices.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.