Assistant Department Manager
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 35022
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-12-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, Baskin Engineering (BE) is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 20+ years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society, and its diverse curricula facilitate creative thinking and prepare students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
Under the supervision of the Director of Department Operations, the incumbent provides administrative support for the chairs and faculty for Baskin Engineering. The incumbent provides primary support, and is the first point of contact for the faculty and Director; participates in long/short term curriculum planning; budget planning and implementation; financial oversight and reporting; procurement services; academic recruitment and personnel actions; staff recruitment and training; other general support. Provides administrative analysis on matters having operational and financial impact on the departments, using knowledge of university administrative organization, policies, procedures, and practices. Advises, orients, and trains new academic hires on university administrative organization and policies. Assists with training other office staff as determined by the needs of the unit.
Each Department Manager within Baskin Engineering (BE) will oversee all aspects related to department or divisional level operations, and personnel.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $66,300 - $79,750/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification:007377 (ADMIN OFCR 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
45% - DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATION
• Work with the Director to define and implement long/short range goals and objectives in accordance with the divisional or departmental academic plans. Develop and implement long/short range programs to meet overall goals and objectives with regard to teaching, research, and public service. Provide coordination and evaluation of department programs, and implement modifications as required. Develop problem-solving alternatives and innovative solutions for a full range of administrative issues. Obtain, collect, analyze process, organize, and convey information, or data, including writing reports and maintaining records.
• Serve as a primary resource to faculty and staff, on matters related to academic programming, including operational policies and procedures; provide daily support, respond to queries, and participate in problem solving and strategic planning.
• Participate in long/short term budget planning and implementation including management of all general office business, fiscal and budgetary issues; contract and grant administration; procurement services; academic and staff personnel functions; academic merits and promotions; academic recruitment; graduate student affairs; facilities management; environmental health and safety issues. Develop administrative policies and procedures to meet growing academic department needs. Provide administrative analysis on matters having a financial impact on the department using knowledge of university administrative organization, policies, procedures, and practices.
• Maintain Tier 1 level budgetary authority on selected non-entertainment instructional and operational financial matters, such as for direct pay reimbursements, printing charges, and bookstore recharges.
• Provide direct administrative and analytical support to the Director on various administrative projects and reports; serve as coordinator for special projects as needed; independently collect and analyze data and statistics; draft and edit reports and confidential correspondence for signature. Maintain files and ensure confidentiality of correspondence, records, and sensitive department/personnel issues. Attend divisional or department meetings and take minutes for various committee meetings as needed.
45% - ACADEMIC HUMAN RESOURCES: GENERAL SUPPORT
• Ensure that all documents and appointment dossiers adhere to BE dean's office and university policies and procedures for permanent and temporary academic appointments. Determine the need and appropriateness for extramural letters, teaching evaluations and other materials, and departmental votes for appointment/reappointment, as it pertains to recruitment.
• Prepare, assemble, and submit for approval, all permanent academic appointment dossiers for approved new faculty hires. Facilitate faculty votes on permanent academic appointment files.
• Prepare, assemble, and submit for approval, the appointment and reappointment dossiers for Pre-Six Unit 18 lecturers. Interpret and adhere to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) rules and regulations for Unit 18 personnel pertaining to appointments and reappointments. Advise and collaborate with the department chair in preparing and submitting the appointment dossier for approval.
• Initiate and facilitate the process for visa applications (J-1, H-1B, B1, TN and O-1 visas), labor certification, and permanent residency applications, for temporary and permanent appointments of foreign scholars; communicate procedures and appropriate visa for entry into the U.S.; assist in resolving problematic visa and immigration issues.
• Prepare, assemble, and submit for approval, the appointment and reappointment dossiers for Postdoctoral Scholars and visiting researchers. Verify appropriateness of appointment/reappointment, title, salary, percent of time, and exemptions to open recruitment. Implement and adhere to established policies and procedures.
• Review divisional or departmental Teaching Assistant (TA) and Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) appointments in conjunction with curriculum and leave planning. Budget for and review quarterly reader/tutor allocations.
• Assist with management of the lecturer and adjunct recruitment pools for all departments within BE, as needed.
• Process new appointee files, coordination of faculty merit and promotion cases, ensure adherence to university policies and procedures.
• Prepare, assemble, and submit for approval, all merit and promotion files which includes: maintaining the publication list; external reviewers list; professional and university service list; assist faculty with the preparation of personal statements; detailed review of submitted materials to ensure accuracy and that all required materials are included; initiate and acknowledge extramural and student letters; maintain confidential documents; initiate and facilitate formal requests for additional information; arrange for files to be reviewed by the department; arrange departmental discussion and voting meetings; proofread department letters of recommendation.
10% - CURRICULUM COORDINATION, INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT, GENERAL ASSIGNMENTS
• Under direction of the Director, analyze and draft annual curriculum and temporary academic staffing plans. Solicit and summarize faculty teaching and leave requests annually. Prepare and plan for the coming academic year based on curricular needs, programmatic consistency, past history, current trends, enrollment figures, major requirements, faculty needs, and temporary academic staffing funds.
• Assist the curriculum and instructional support staff in overseeing the annual revision and submission of catalog copy for the division or departments; edit departmental program statements, course descriptions, and faculty listings, with adherence to appropriate campus deadlines. Consult with instructional support staff in the processing of new course approval, and course revision, forms.
• Assist with special divisional assignments as needed.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Related administrative experience.
• Strong problem-solving skills and decision-making skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a record of effective interactions with a diverse community.
• Thorough budget and financial knowledge, including experience with purchasing and tracking budgets, as well as interpreting accounting principles and practices. Math skills sufficient to calculate compensation payments.
• Organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize a heavy workload with the pressure of deadlines and frequent interruptions, including ability to discern priorities and delegate appropriately.
• Experience in a computerized office environment, including skills with word processing, databases, spreadsheets, text editing applications, Google Suite, and electronic mail systems.
• Strong skills in short term planning.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Demonstrated political acumen with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships in a diverse and inclusive environment.
• Training or experience with UCSC administrative systems (such as AIS, DivData, PPS, CruzPay, CruzBuy, InfoView, CCLP).
• Thorough knowledge of UC Santa Cruz and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting and fund management and/or personnel management.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.