Senior Custodian, Facilities
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 34699
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-09-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Colleges, Housing and Educational Services (CHES) is a multi-funded organization of the Business and Administrative Services division at UC Santa Cruz. CHES provides leadership in the areas of college student life and residential services, housing services and facilities, employee housing and capital planning, business and financial analysis, dining services, conference services, early education services, and the Bay Tree Campus Store and ID card services. Through these units, educational and developmental programs and services are offered to all members of the campus community including students, faculty, staff, children and external constituents.
The Facilities unit of CHES provides comprehensive facilities support to over 9,500 student residents in ten colleges and six associated residential communities, as well as seven Dining facilities. The department maintains 186 buildings of 2 million square feet. Facilities employs 45 represented, non-represented career staff, and over 100 student staff positions, and manages an annual budget of approximately $9 million.
The mission of Facilities is to plan for, develop, and maintain a comfortable and safe physical environment for our residents and cost effectively maintain the assets of the campus in a manner that meets the highest standards of the housing and facilities management profession in coordination with other campus facilities units.
More information can be found here: https://housing.ucsc.edu
Under the general supervision of the Senior Building Maintenance Supervisor, Family Student Housing, the incumbent is responsible for cleaning and general maintenance duties in the Early Education Services classrooms, offices, restrooms, vacant apartments, and other designated buildings within Family Student Housing. The incumbent will work late afternoon/evening shifts.
Salary Information: $21.82 / hourly
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day & Evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Service Employees (SX)
Job Code Classification: 005116 - CUSTODIAN SR
Travel: Never or Rarely
80% - Daily Custodial Duties
• Sweep, mop, scrub, dust clean and/or vacuums carpets and mats in all floors spaces both inside and outside of buildings using a variety of cleaning solutions and supplies. Wash indoor and outdoor rubber mats outdoor as needed.
• Clean doors; partition glass, light switches, handrails, drinking fountains, counter tops and kitchen appliances.
• Clean children's chairs and tables.
• Clean and disinfect restrooms; replenish paper supplies and hand soap as needed.
• Polish chrome fixtures, clean mirrors, partitions, desks, file cabinets, tables and countertops.
• Remove cobwebs in all indoors spaces.
• Manage inventory of paper supplies, cleaning supplies and hand soap and report in timely manner when more supplies need to be ordered. Recycle paper and other materials.
• Empty all indoor and outdoor trash bins and carry trash to outside dumpsters.
• Rearrange or move furniture, supplies and equipment as required. Report items that need repair.
10% - Periodic Custodial Duties
• Dust, clean and/or polish furniture woodwork, baseboards, windowsills, radiators, grills, exhaust vents, walls, blinds ceiling fans and light fixtures.
• Remove cob webs on outdoor gates and playground equipment
5% - Building Security
• Lock and unlock buildings as instructed.
• In the event of an emergency, carry out emergency procedures as directed by Fire and Police departments, evacuating buildings in the event of fire or other emergency. Maintain communications with Proctor and other staff.
5% - Miscellaneous Duties
• Dilute cleaning chemical compounds according to directions indicated on labels or as directed by supervisor. Read and understand product information and warnings.
• Clean carpets using appropriate equipment; vacuum upholstered furniture and clean as needed. Strip, scrub, wax, spot clean and/or polish resilient tile floors.
• Operate various types of custodial power equipment such as vacuum cleaners, wet/dry vacuums, floor polishers, scrubbers and carpet shampooers.
• Attend orientation and safety training as directed
• Experience in performing custodial duties and working with associated supplies, materials and equipment, including vacuums, floor scrubbers and polishers.
• Knowledge of proper and safe use of custodial equipment, chemicals and equipment.
• Knowledge of procedures related to building safety and security with the ability to safeguard keys and building access.
• Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written) with demonstrated effectiveness in interacting with staff, students, and a diverse residential population.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, read manuals, signs and labels.
• Strong organizational skills sufficient to prioritize workload and complete daily tasks.
• Ability to work independently, and perform duties and assignments with minimal supervision.
• Ability to accommodate changing priorities and complete tasks despite intermittent interruptions.
• Ability to maintain acceptable work habits, punctuality, and regularity of attendance; ability to arrive at and leave work on time, observe break and lunch period.
• Ability to be part of a team and foster teamwork by maintaining a cooperative atmosphere and effective working relationships with a diverse population from various cultural backgrounds.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
• Must have the ability to safely move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds with or without accommodations.
• Position will be assigned to the Early Education Services facility within Family Student Housing.
• Must possess the physical ability to perform all essential custodial duties requiring bending, stooping, walking, carrying, reaching, moving, and climbing stairs or ladders; ability to perform manual work including dumping large bags into dumpster, or transporting supplies, furniture, and/or equipment (vacuum cleaners, mop buckets, cases of custodial supplies).
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.