Executive Director HCI Program
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 26943
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
Employees can https://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#requirement online or https://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#exception.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, the Baskin School of Engineering is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 20 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society, and its diverse curricula facilitate creative thinking and prepare students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
The Baskin Engineering Computational Media Department has launched a new Human Computer Interaction (HCI) MS program at the Silicon Valley campus in Santa Clara, CA and seeks an Executive Director (ED). The ED will serve the professional orientation of the MS students and will establish vital relationships between the HCI MS program and industries that practice and hire in User Experience (UX) Design, UX Research, and HCI. The ED will be a respected HCI figure with extensive industry experience and a wide network of industry connections. The ED should be committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry, seeking to develop pathways that uplift and recruit underrepresented students to the UX/HCI profession. The ED will play a key role in shaping the next generation of UX and HCI professionals at the UCSC Silicon Valley campus in Santa Clara. The ED will work in close collaboration with the Vice Chair of the HCI MS program and consult with the faculty of Computational Media Department to develop and support the HCI MS program.
The HCI Executive Director will be appointed concurrently as a Lecturer to teach courses for the program and must be qualified for an academic appointment (see Special Conditions of Employment).
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 12-12-2021
Salary Information: Salary Range: $123,600 - $160,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley (Santa Clara)
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 000379 (ACAD PRG MGT OFCR 5)
35% - Shapes the external image of the program, which includes the following activities:
• Development of marketing and outreach plans and execution of marketing and outreach activities.
• Oversight of the development and maintenance of web and social media presence.
• Visits to universities, companies, and events to promote the program.
• Development of events sponsored by the program.
• Completion of surveys related to national program rankings.
• Development and oversight of the program's board of advisors.
35% - Industry Outreach:
• Identifies and develops relationships with potential project partners and other collaborators (especially with industry), identifying internship opportunities for students, and working with project partners to identify capstone projects and the appropriate students for the projects.
• Designs and executes fundraising strategies for sponsorship of seminars, capstone projects and other initiatives (e.g., student awards, public events).
• Leads the program's public presence through public speaking, organizing events, developing online and media presence, etc. as needed.
• Invites and organizes the speakers for the HCI seminar series.
• Organizes educational and professional visits to local companies and to HCI conferences.
• Represents the program to governing boards, outside agencies, and the public. Develops and maintains liaisons with external advisory board.
• Assesses program's effectiveness in professionally preparing students and recommends changes to program's content, policies and strategic goals accordingly.
30% - Program Management:
• Assists in planning and directing the program budget and manages financial, HR, technical, and other supporting resources.
• Develops pathways to ensure the inclusion and success of underrepresented students in the UX/HCI profession.
• Develops and executes fundraising strategies for sponsorship of seminars, capstone projects and other initiatives (e.g. student awards, public events).
• Presents seminars and workshops and participates with faculty on research.
• Helps build social cohesion within and between MS cohorts in HCI through social events and other processes.
• Helps bridge HCI MS activities with other colocated MS programs (Games & Playable Media and Serious Games).
• MS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience / training.
• Academic background and recognized expertise in Computer Science.
• Expert oral and written communication skills.
• Expert written communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience in interfacing with academia, industrial and government agencies.
• Deep industry connections with UX and HCI professionals and researchers.
• Fundraising experience.
• Leadership experience.
• Experience with the HCI/UX profession.
• Demonstrated expertise with program building within a leading academic institution for handling administrative, budgetary, human resources and financial principles and practices.
• Expert ability to work with dynamic and diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
• Expert negotiation skills.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science with a strong background in HCI/UX or equivalent
Special Conditions of Employment
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Selected candidate must have a valid license to drive in the State of California
• The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• This full-time position will be based at the Silicon Valley Center (SVC) in Santa Clara, CA and the ED will be expected to maintain a physical presence at SVC. Frequent travel will be required to the UCSC main campus in Santa Cruz, CA to participate in faculty meetings and other activities (e.g. interacting with the CM faculty).
• Since the HCI Executive Director will also be appointed as an HCI Lecturer to teach courses for the program, s/he must be qualified for an academic appointment as a Lecturer. For full consideration, applicants must apply concurrently to the Computational Media Department's open lecturer pool: https://recruit.ucsc.edu/JPF01082.
• Teaching courses as needed in curriculum will include the following: determine what is covered in these courses each year; deliver lectures, lead exercises and workshops and use other appropriate pedagogical methods; assess and grade student work; participate in broader curriculum development for the program. The Executive Director is a full time position. The incumbent will hold staff and HCI Lecturer appointments concurrently equal to 100% time overall; staff appointment will be 100% when teaching is not assigned; sick and vacation accruals will be impacted when the staff appointment is reduced to allow time for teaching.
• It is expected that the incumbent will work a total of 100% at all times, either as 100% staff or the combined total of staff and lecturer appointments; the pay rates for the staff and lecturer appointments may differ slightly. When appointed as a Lecturer, incumbent will report to the Department Chair.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.