Who We Are
Nonprofits Insurance Alliance (NIA) is the nation’s leading property and casualty (P&C) insurer exclusively serving nonprofit organizations and was named by Investopedia as the Best Nonprofit Insurance Overall in 2021. Founded in 1989 in Santa Cruz, CA, NIA is a social enterprise developing the long-term sustainability of the nonprofit sector. NIA has one of the best customer retention rates in the industry and has a well-established track record as an innovator in the areas of corporate social responsibility (CSR), specialized coverages, members services, and employee engagement. This position will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
As an A/R Manager, this position oversees the Accounts Receivable Team Lead and oversees the day to day operations of the AR team together with the Team Lead. This position will require review of AR staff members work for consistency along with development of staff to maintain the work expectations set by the A/R Manager in conjunction with the Controller / Chief Financial Officer.
This individual must model respect and professionalism in all dealings with staff, management, customers, and insurance brokers. Also, the A/R Manager position requires the ability to comfortably multi-task in a high volume / high transaction environment and use good independent judgment when making decisions which will impact accounts as there is not simply a “one size fits all” decision making process.
A/R Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage day to day operations of AR Team Lead and A/R staff
- Work with AR Team Lead to assess needs and changes in staffing of AR team and make recommendations to Controller and CFO
- Responsible for setting priorities for AR staff and managing the AR Team Lead in the execution of the priorities set
- Assist AR Team Lead in review and analysis of premium book of business handled by AR staff
- Manage projects within custom Accounts Receivable software, the Finance Application
- Management of ITWO system in relation to change orders primarily revolving around Finance Application
- Manage monthly export of data from the Finance Application to Microsoft Dynamics
- Work with AR Team Lead to enforce and implement as needed effective A/R policies and procedures including documentation efforts of the A/R staff.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with established policies and procedures of department.
- Ability to take initiative and think out of the box to resolve issues and identify opportunities
- Maintains up-to-date expertise and knowledge of insurance billing laws, accounts receivable rules, regulations and developments necessary for the organization to make informed business decisions as it relates to the accounts receivable function.
- Special projects as assigned
- Monthly AR Statistical Analysis reporting to Controller / CFO
- Monthly reporting and posting of adjustments to General Ledger related to AR processes
- Quarterly review and reporting of Finance Department annual benchmarking score related to process managed by AR Accountants, 1 of 9 contacts
- Team player with ability to work positively with Managers and staff throughout the organization
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, to effectively manage AR Team Lead and AR staff and respond to both internal and external requests
- Experience evaluating and developing new processes and procedures and hiring/managing staff
- Strong attention to detail for quality and accuracy of work and performance of staff
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks in response to both written and verbal requests
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle changing priorities pertaining to work flow
- Perform at a high level and provide technical information to staff as needed within Accounts Receivable software
- Ability to review and analyze data related to custom Accounts Receivable software
- Interest and commitment to our mission and to inspired service
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, reach, or sit for up to 3 hours at a time
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly view computer screen
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- 8 years accounting experience required
- Prior management experience required
- Insurance industry and/or nonprofit experience helpful
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff preferred
- 2 year Accounting degree or 8 or more years of equivalent work experience
If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want to work for AMS, a member of the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance via our career portal: https://insurancefornonprofits.org/contact/employment/employment-opportunities/