Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 17002
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 04-15-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
Information Technology Services is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning and digital experiences at UCSC. Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, fulfillment.
We are a group of enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious and kind.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience and value to our constituents. We care deeply about developing a high performing organization through recruiting and developing highly talented and diverse staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and career development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information about Information Technology Services (ITS) can be found at: https://its.ucsc.edu
Under the general supervision of the Director of Finance, Strategy & Portfolio Management, the ITS Financial Analyst will provide support work related to a variety of fiscal operations within ITS, including financial analysis for the ITS budgets, projecting financials, monitoring expenditures, reviewing various financial transactions, establishing and administering financial policies and procedures, and reporting financial performance.
This position uses skills as a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and organizational policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $63,300 - $85,000/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: 2 years from hire date, with possibility of extension
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: None
Job Code Classification: 007709 (FINANCIAL ANL 3)
25% - Financial Planning/ Analysis and Budget Development/ Analysis
• Coordinate and develop financial budgets and reports; integrate elements of salary and benefits costs, revenues, and inflation costs.
• Applies professional concepts to perform moderate to complex financial analyses for ITS units, including budget and transaction queries for management decision making.
• Provide complex analysis for the development of the annual budgets
• Evaluate data in financial and budgetary projections, comparing projections to past spending patterns and current projections.
• Independently develop and prepare regular and ad hoc financial reports for ITS departments. This process includes running reports, verifying, researching and problem solving using campus financial systems, as appropriate.
• Coordinate and develop official monthly, quarterly, annual and ad-hoc reports for ITS.
• Monitor and report on the rate of expenditures of funds, notify management of trends toward over or under obligation of funds. Analyze data, develop solutions and present findings.
• Provide recommendations and financial reports to senior managers and supervisors to support sound financial decision making.
25% - Financial Transactions and Reporting
• Review and approve Purchase Orders and expense payments, including travel, reimbursements and direct payments to vendors. Review for accuracy, appropriately assigning and reconciling accounts and appropriate approvals. Monitor payments, assuring timely receipt and accuracy. Research and resolve any problems/issues.
• Review entertainment requests and forward for appropriate approvals. Serve as Event Order Approver (EOA).
• Review specific budget categories under budgetary review within assigned areas.
• Reviews and reconciles account ledgers.
• Prepare, process and authorize budget and expense transfers as needed.
• Produces monthly reports on account activities. Reconciles and provides monthly budget reports to management.
• Ensures that the appropriate internal controls are addressed, maintained and strengthened to protect University resources.
• Manages and completes fiscal closing for unit ensuring that accounts are balanced and cleared.
• Respond to financial transaction inquiries from units. Perform moderate to complex investigations within financial, budget and payroll systems in order to explain, clarify and/or correct financial transaction items in question. Work with appropriate campus office to reconcile errors.
• Prepare budget presentations for a variety of audiences.
• Support various closing processes and activities.
• Provide financial information in a precise, timely and user-friendly manner.
25% - Research, Data Collection and Reporting
• Develops and makes recommendations on internal policy / procedural changes that may affect internal and external functional areas.
• Makes recommendations on maintaining and strengthening internal controls to protect University resources.
• Uses advanced understanding of industry practices and organizational policies and procedures to resolve highly complex or difficult assignments.
• Identify ITS financial information needs and campus sources of data.
• Identify relevant and usable data sources, select appropriate methods of data collection and analysis, and develop electronic reports to extract the information for use by ITS financial managers to support effective planning and decision making.
• Researches and implements new and or advanced financial modeling, reporting and power tools to provide advanced data reporting, modeling, automation and visualization to both internal and external management.
25% - Policy, Procedure and Process Interpretation/ Development and Training
• Advise ITS staff and management regarding complex or detailed accounting, purchasing, travel, and entertainment policies and procedures, answer questions, resolve problems and perform research as needed.
• Provide policy analysis, advice, and provide consultation on all matters relating to budget and financial planning. Identify best practices and propose improvements, standards and changes in all areas of business and finance to ensure that good financial practices are maintained.
• Provide guidance in reading and interpreting financial reports, such as InfoView, to managers, along with reconciliation practices, and identifying errors in data entry and fund usage.
• Advise individual managers on application of policy or procedure to individual unit-specific situations.
• Attend training sessions as needed to remain knowledgeable of current policies, procedures and use of UC Systems.
• Develop and implement trainings to other staff on policies and procedures.
• Complete policy and procedure documentation for financial and unit activities
• Engage in teamwork and coordination with staff in financial and payroll operations and with other ITS staff.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Experienced with thorough knowledge of financial accounting principles, policies, practices, and systems.
• Proven ability to apply knowledge, analyze and interpret complex policies and regulations.
• Proven ability to independently gather reasonably retrievable information to organize, and perform basic financial analysis assignments.
• Proven numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail.
• Proven experience in budget management and financial analysis.
• Experienced computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, email, on-line calendaring and web based applications and systems.
• Proven ability using spreadsheet and database software for moderate financial analysis, fiscal management, budget projections and financial reports.
• Proven ability to independently research information and effectively produce clear, concise correspondence and reports.
• Proven interpersonal skills at all levels within the unit; excellent service orientation and critical thinking skills.
• Proven ability to perform accurately and efficiently in a fast paced and high pressure environment.
• Proven ability to exercise good judgement and discretion, especially with regards to sensitive or confidential personnel, financial or organizational matters.
• Proven ability to function as a member of a team, skills to coordinate, cooperate and plan with committees, other units and colleagues.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.