Please go to the City of Capitola's website at www.cityofcapitola.org for the recruitment notice and employment application.
Under general direction of the City Clerk, performs clerical and administrative tasks. Serves as Clerk to the Capitola Planning Commission; provides backup to the City Clerk when required. Administers and coordinates the City’s centralized records management program. Supports City staff with other administrative needs and performs related duties as required.
Reports to and works under the general supervision of the City Clerk.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- City Clerk Office:
- Clerk and Administration:
- Clerk for Capitola Planning Commission: attend all meetings, take, and finalize minutes, communicate with Planning staff regarding meeting procedure and virtual or physical meeting set-up
- Clerk for Capitola City Council when City Clerk is unavailable
- Assist the City Clerk in the publication and distribution of City Council agendas
- Staff the front desk as assigned; answer and transfer calls from the public, etc.
- Supply/Create content for the City’s social media accounts as necessary
- Perform a variety of administrative duties in support of the City Clerk’s office
- Manage office supplies for City Hall.
- Records Management:
- Coordinate all records management functions for the City, including the receipt, storage, retrieval, and disposition of official City records in accordance with legal requirements and records management policies and procedures
- Respond to public inquiries, and California Public Record Act requests, verbally and in writing, and aids in the use of public records
- Review and monitor legal requests for records
- Assist in the development and implement disaster preparedness plan for City records.
- Assist in the research and development of departmental policies and procedures
- Assist in the maintenance of records management systems
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies and procedures for the recording, indexing, filing, and retrieving of active documents and the storage of inactive documents
- Ensures the effective implementation of the records retention program
- Interpret Federal, State, and other regulations relating to records keeping and retention requirements and ensure compliance with all regulations.
- City Manager Department:
- Schedule use of City Hall facilities; Council Chambers and Community Room
- Aid in scheduling City Manager’s calendar as needed
- Answer City Hall phones; answer questions and transfer calls to correct staff
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
Any combination of experience and education that provides the skills, knowledge and abilities shown above is qualifying. A typical way to obtain these requirements would be:
- Successful completion of two years of college-level course work in Business or Public Administration, Office Management or a directly related field, and two years of increasingly responsible record keeping/administrative experience; or
- High school graduation or tested equivalent and four years of increasingly responsible record keeping/administrative experience
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Standard office procedures, practices, and equipment
- Proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and business correspondence format
- Computer processing skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, data bases, etc.)
- Updating websites and social media accounts
- Current records management practices and procedures
- Effectively operate modern office equipment including computer equipment, copier, scanner
- Effectively develop and coordinate office systems.
- Effectively use word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Effectively compose correspondence and routine administrative reports.
- Interact effectively with all levels of employees and the public
- Maintain good working relationships with other departments and employees
- Develop and implement division goals, objectives, policies, and procedures
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Interpret laws related to records retention and disposition
- Conduct needed analysis to determine the Clerk’s Office and City’s Records Management needs both on a short and long-term basis
- Anticipate staff’s records storage and access needs and work cooperatively with staff to plan accordingly.
- Assist public in person, over phone, and via email
- Direct public to the appropriate City of Capitola staff or office
- Analyze work procedures and determine the correct automation and technologies to streamline
- procedures and to aid in the effective and efficient operation of City systems
- Meet multiple deadlines
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer; computer network workstation; telephone; copy machine; fax machine.
Microsoft Office Software Programs (particularly Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.