FULL-TIME TEACHING POSITION — Upper Elementary (3rd-5th) 2020-2021
FT/PT: 100% time during the school year, beginning Fall 2020
Status: Exempt, At-Will
Reports To: Assistant Head of School
Gateway School, in beautiful Santa Cruz, CA, is a CAIS accredited, independent K-8 day school of approximately 180 students that serves children with the intellectual curiosity and self-motivation to thrive in an academically challenging environment. Our school is notable for its innovative instruction and programs, close student-teacher relationships, supportive parent community, and small classes.
Gateway School is seeking to hire a full-time teacher to work in a self-contained Upper Elementary classroom (Third, Fourth or Fifth Grade). Preferred candidates will have a good sense of humor, a belief that collaboration enriches one’s work, a history of pursuing professional development and an ethic of continuous improvement, and outstanding personal integrity.
We seek, and strive to maintain, a culturally and ethnically diverse community, and are committed to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We value the skills, knowledge and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school.
● Implementing a variety of literacy teaching techniques including workshop model, literature circles, and a range of other pedagogies;
● Teaching math using Bridges as a starting point, and providing differentiation and enrichment through a variety of materials and approaches;
● Thematic and inquiry-based instruction in science and social studies, and the integration of visual arts as a means of demonstrating understanding;
● A deep understanding of the developmental norms of children, and the ability to design curriculum that leverages collaborative activities and projects;
● Creating a culture of learning through an SEL approach that weaves together emotional intelligence, character education, Mindfulness, growth mindset, team building, class agreements and meetings, and conflict resolution;
● Integrating a range of hardware and software tools into on-campus instruction, as well as possibly providing remote learning;
● Teaching as part of a “team of teachers;”
● Field trips and other extracurricular duties, including an overnight field trip in April;
● Excellent communication skills with families, students, colleagues and administration, on both a regular and ad-hoc basis.
● A school community committed to creating a safe and inclusive space by explicitly promoting and addressing issues of social justice and equity;
● Small class sizes that encourage a constructivist/experiential learning environment;
● Students who are ready to learn and have a solid foundation of knowledge and skills;
● A culture that values learning process equally to (or above) assessment product;
● A community of parents that supports the faculty and each other;
● A learning environment that encourages teachers to excel at their craft;
● A faculty that is collegial, collaborative, and congenial;
● An administration that encourages creativity, innovation and professional development.
● Bachelor's degree
● Successful classroom teaching experience at the elementary level
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with all members of the community, including students, faculty, staff, and parents
● Master’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
● Current teaching credential
● Knowledge and understanding of independent schools
● Knowledge and understanding of child development, neuroscience-based instruction, and effective differentiation
● An understanding of and/or commitment to furthering community conversations about justice and equity
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is dependent upon years of teaching experience. The benefits package may include employee coverage for medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holiday time, paid sick time and 403(b) retirement savings plan.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter, resume, job application (located on the Gateway School website) and contact information for at least three references to:
Hannah Wikse, Assistant Head of School
Attn: Upper Elementary teaching position email@example.com
Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer, and opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
Candidates selected by the search committee will be called for personal interviews.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.