Custodian (2 Positions)
Closing Date/Time: 12/5/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Facil Plan & Plant Operations
This full-time (40 hours per week) Custodian position performs custodial and cleaning duties in specified College buildings and adjacent grounds.
In addition, a Custodian position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
Examples of Duties
• Sweeps, mops, scrubs, waxes, polishes, strips, seals and buffs floors
• Vacuums and shampoos rugs and carpets in all designated areas
• Cleans and spots carpets
• Dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork which includes desks
• Cleans black and white boards
• Empties, cleans and lines waste receptacles and disposes of trash and/or recycle materials
• Picks up trash in adjacent grounds areas
• Washes doors, windows, walls, ceilings, venetian blinds, furniture and light fixtures
• Cleans drinking fountains
• Cleans and disinfects restrooms including floors, walls, fixtures and mirrors and restocks restroom supplies as necessary
• Moves office and classroom furniture and equipment
• Replaces light bulbs and may make minor non-technical repairs to buildings and fixtures
• Reports the need for maintenance and repair and assists others in making repairs as needed
• Closes windows, turns lights on and off
• Locks and unlocks doors and secures buildings
• Keeps basic records of work performed, timesheets, etc.
• Observes safe working practices, including maintaining storage areas in a safe condition
• Corrects or reports any safety or fire hazards
• Attends departmental safety meetings; incorporates new safety procedures into existing job duties as directed by supervisor
• Uses technology to convey and receive safety and job-related instructions
• Follows label instructions to mix and dilute cleansers, disinfectants and stripping agents to ensure proper strength for use
• Safely operates College vehicles and a variety of custodial tools, equipment and supplies, including buffers and vacuum cleaners
• Maintains equipment and materials in proper condition
• May assist in setting up rooms for special meetings and equipment for classes
• May communicate with faculty and/or administrative staff to determine specific cleaning requirements
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to completion of the tenth grade and two (2) years of housekeeping, janitorial or custodial experience.
Please note: One (1) year of basic maintenance or related professional work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis up to one (1) year.
• Custodial experience in a large institutional setting (e.g. hospital or school district)
• Cleaning techniques and materials used in custodial work
• Proper cleaning methods, and the safe use of cleaning materials, disinfectants, custodial tools and equipment
• Proper use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in custodial work
• Safety practices and equipment related to the work
• Safe driving methods and techniques
• Use cleaning materials, equipment and methods according to established industry and safety standards
• Learn and apply proper cleaning procedures and safe use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work
• Maintain tools and equipment assigned in clean working order and provide proper security
• Safely drive College vehicles and lift heavy objects
• Communicate effectively
• Understand and follow oral and written directions and safety procedures
• Complete assignments without immediate supervision
• Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships
• Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and safe driving record during the course of employment
• Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to maneuver equipment and furniture weighing up to 90 pounds, with proper equipment
• Must be willing to work at various college sites, off-hour shifts under various weather conditions and overtime as necessary
• Must be willing to be exposed to a variety of chemical cleaning and related products, using appropriate safety equipment and procedures
Salary: *$2,958 to $3,261 plus shift differential per month to start; seven-step schedule to $3,964 per month. Full-time, 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 5:00 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a generous benefit stipend for employees plus dependents that employees apply towards benefit selections for medical, dental, life, and short-term/long-term disability insurance. Depending on health plan selections, in many cases full-time employee net out-of-pocket for benefit premiums may be $0 or otherwise relatively low.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each candidate must submit:
• Completed Application
• Resume **If any of the above materials are not submitted with your application packet, your materials will be deemed incomplete and will not be forwarded to the committee for screening.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on the appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Thursday, December 05, 2019
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
01 Have you completed the equivalent to completion of the tenth (10th) grade AND have two (2) years of housekeeping, janitorial or custodial experience (or one year of basic maintenance or related professional work experience that can be substituted on a year-for-year basis up to one year for the housekeeping, janitorial or custodial experience)?
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1722258
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.